They may not seem like a critical part of your vehicle, but good windshield wipers are a key safety feature of your car. Poorly maintained wiper blades will cause poor visibility in precarious weather conditions, which can be especially dangerous during a spring downpour. Here are a few things you can do to keep your wipers in good shape:
1) Clean your windshield every time you fill your gas tank. You can also apply a windshield treatment every few months to help repel water, if you want.
2) When you do clean the wipers themselves, just gently wipe the rubber squeegee with a damp paper towel to remove any loose dirt or oil without damaging the rubber blade. From time to time, you should also give them a good wash and dry with a gentle cleaner and towel to get rid of smaller dirt and dust particles.
3) While cleaning, visually inspect each wiper blade for wear. If you run your finger along the rubber, you should be able to feel any knicks, tears, or other damage. While examining the blades, you should also look for:
3) Never use your windshield wipers to de-ice your windshield. Instead, either use an ice scraper or use your defroster to melt snow and ice.
4) Top off your washer fluid with the right mix for your climate. In extreme cold, washer fluid with antifreeze is recommended.
5) Pull your wiper blades away from the windshield during winter months to prevent ice build up on the rubber squeegee and to prevent them from sticking to the windshield.
6) Change your wiper blades at least once a year.
At V&F we know that efficient wiper blades are as important to a vehicle’s safe operation as clean oil and good tires. From regular maintenance to unexpected repairs, we’re proud to be the best local auto repair shop in Agawam, MA. Call us at (413) 314-2280 or schedule an appointment online.